Dec 1, 2010

Life whizzing by….

I had to take a break from blogging to get caught up on life.  I had too many projects in progress and was sleeping 4-5 hours a night.  I am homeschooling and no longer work so there’s no reason I should be staying up all night just to get things done.

I decided I need major organization.  I am going room to room and overhauling our current systems.  We have three hampers in our house yet there is always clothes on the floor (I don’t have a solution for this yet).  

I have a built in office/craft/laundry room but it had tools, decorations, laundry and everything else in it that does not have a home.   I have slowly been working on moving the junk out of it.  It has been full of junk since 2008, it was briefly cleaned for the realtor earlier this year.  Today I got it majorly clean.  We our now moving our home school from the kitchen table to here.

IMG_5070

Did you notice the basket overflowing with fabric?  Those are the future curtains for this room.  All projects are on hold until this house is organized and functioning.  The basket next to it is all my papers that need to be filed.  All my files are on the top shelf color coded by category.  I haven’t purged my files since 2008.  I hope to do that next week.

 IMG_5090 IMG_5091

I also built that blackboard over the summer.  Here is a closer look.

IMG_5094

Homeschooling was not working for us either.  We were disorganized and I was struggling with lesson planning.  I was photocopying worksheets out of the workbooks everyday.  This was such a waste of time every morning.  

I was sick of the photocopying but wanted single-sided worksheets.  I found the books online in EBook form.  I wish I had known about this earlier this year.  I printed the sheets and divided them into the 40 weekly folders.  I am using a 40 week workbox system.  We are schooling for 37 weeks, reviewing for 2 weeks, and leaving the 40th week for testing.  I put the teacher sections in a big binder.  Each week he has a checklist of what needs to completed.  Some of the subjects are everyday and others are 2-4 sheets a week. 

IMG_5072

IMG_5074

The folders are color coded to our academic year calendar.  If the week is blue on the calendar the corresponding folder will be blue.  This is the same for yellow.  Gray means vacation.  We are pretty close to the actual school calendar.

IMG_5080

IMG_5076

I participated in a craft fair in the beginning of the month, had a yard sale, painted all our ceiling fans and made over a few lamps. I will post about that later. 

I hope to have my life back in order soon, since I will be giving up my weekends soon.  I agreed to do some contract accounting for an old client of mine.  My heart is not in it, but they really needed my help.

I hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving.  I had a nice and uneventful Thanksgiving.

Janet

No comments: